Making Almond Milk
Easy to Make Almond Milk
~~Revolution Health Medical Center~~
Whether you are avoiding dairy or looking for healthier options to add to your eating plan, you will want to try these easy to make almond milk options. Why almond milk? It has less fat than regular milk; no saturated fat and no cholesterol. Depending on the source of dairy milk, you may also be exposing yourself to added drug residues and hormones.
Tip: Save the almond meal to use in other recipes.
- 3 cups of RAW almonds
- 6 cups of boiling water (substitute hot Stevia Tea if you like a sweeter version)
- Pour boiling water over raw almonds.
- Let sit overnight at minimum, preferably a full day. They will soak up the water and look swollen.
- Place the soaked almonds in a blender.
- Add 6 cups of water, filtered or spring water if available.
- Puree the almonds as finely as possible.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth.
- Put the particulates left in the strainer/cloth aside or freeze to use in other recipes.
- The almond milk is now ready to drink. Add stevia or agave if desired.
If you are using the almond milk in smoothies or oatmeal, there is no reason to strain it.
WARM ALMOND NUTMEG MILK
Consider for breakfast, or as a chilly evening dessert.
- 3 cups of almond milk
- 3 tbsp Maca powder
- 1 tbsp Agave nectar
- 2 tsp Arrowroot powder
- 1/2 tsp Freshly grated nutmeg powder
- Place the maca and arrowroot powders in the bottom of a sauce pan
- Add the agave nectar and just 1-2 tbsp of the almond milk.
- Use a fork to thoroughly moisten the powder
- Continue adding more milk, 1 tbsp at a time, to avoid getting lumps of maca in the milk.
- Continue thinning down the maca and arrowroot with the almond milk until all has been added.
- Heat the milk over low heat until a very gentle simmer is reached.
- Take it off of the heat immediately and stir for several minutes as the arrowroot begins to thicken the milk.
- Ladle into mugs and add a pinch of fresh grated nutmeg to each.
*Product affiliate links included to make finding and pricing items easier.