Warm Red Cabbage Salad
This quick red cabbage salad only takes a few minutes to prepare. This is a diabetic appropriate gluten-free dish. It does not hurt that it is vegan and heart healthy as well!
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced (about 1/4 large head)
- 3/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 crisp, sweet apple, such as Braeburn or Gala, cut into matchsticks
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly, ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add cabbage, caraway seeds and salt.
- Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add apple, shallot, vinegar, mustard and pepper and stir until combined.
- Serve sprinkled with toasted walnuts.
Tip: To toast chopped walnuts, heat a small dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add nuts and cook, stirring, until lightly browned and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
Enjoy this red cabbage salad as a side dish or main meal.
Serving size: generous 3/4 cup
Per serving: 76 calories; 4 g fat(0 g sat); 2 g fiber; 10 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 14 mcg folate; 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 681 IU vitamin A; 36 mg vitamin C; 34 mg calcium; 1 mg iron; 216 mg sodium; 194 mg potassium
Recipe From: EatingWell Magazine March/April 2007