Looking for a healthier option to serve as an appetizer for you holiday meals or sporting event parties? This bean dip may take a little bit more time than others, but you can prepare it ahead if you like. Depending on the restrictions of your guests, serve with a platter of vegetables or pita bread.
Poached Garlic & Garlic Oil
- 4 cups water
- 4 heads garlic, cloves separate but unpeeled
- 1 1/2 cups canola oil
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed thoroughly. Consider using low sodium or preparing your own from scratch.
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
To prepare poached garlic & garlic oil:
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Remove from the heat, add garlic cloves and stir to submerge.
- Let stand until the garlic skins are softened and cool enough to handle, about 50 minutes.
- Strain the garlic.
- Remove the skins and cut off the hard nub where the clove was attached to the head.
- Place the garlic, canola oil and olive oil in a medium saucepan.
- bring to a gentle simmer over medium-low heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and maintain a very gentle simmer; move pan to side of burner if necessary.
- Simmer until the cloves are golden and very soft when pressed with a fork, 40 to 50 minutes.
- Let cool for 30 minutes.
- Transfer the cooled garlic to a sieve to drain, reserving the oil.
- Transfer the garlic to a food processor and puree until smooth, scraping down the sides occasionally.
- If it makes more than 1/2 cup, store the extra in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
To prepare bean dip:
- Combine 1/2 cup of the reserved garlic oil, onion and salt in a large skillet.
- Cook over medium heat until the onion is softened but not browned, 6 to 9 minutes.
- Stir in beans and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to the food processor.
- Add lemon juice
- Puree with 1/2 cup garlic puree until smooth.
- Serve warm or cold.
Store extra garlic oil in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Serving size: 2 tablespoons
Per serving: 96 calories; 8 g fat(1 g sat); 2 g fiber; 6 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 24 mcg folate; 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 0 IU vitamin A; 1 mg vitamin C; 17 mg calcium; 0 mg iron; 136 mg sodium; 99 mg potassium
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Recipe from Eatingwell.com