Summer Skin Protection
Summer Protection From The Sun–More Than Just Sunscreen
—-Memorial Day weekend is considered by most to be the unofficial start of summer. In most parts of the country, many get their first real over-exposure to the sun through outdoor activities during the three day weekend. Here in the valley of the sun, our exposure is pretty much year ’round, but it does intensify during these summer months. Any time spent outside needs to bring an even higher awareness of sun exposure.
What can you do to protect your skin and eyes? There are the obvious things that we Arizonians tend to hear about all of the time. Grab the sunglasses and hat before we head outside, even if it is just going to be for a short period of time. But what else should we be aware of and concerned about?
- Plan outdoor activities when the sun is lower in the sky.
- Choose clothing that shields your skin from the sun’s UV rays.
- Sunglasses are a necessity, not a fashion statement.
- Know what the UV index means, and what it is every day.
- Find or make shade to use when you are going to be outside.
- Use the right sunscreen, not one that has the highest SPF number on it.
Does sunscreen really make a difference? According to the Environmental Working Group’s (EWG) 2015 Guide to Sunscreen the answer is YES. There are an almost unlimited number of sunscreens available when you walk into any store, and the SPF number seem to keep getting higher and higher. There are so many options when searching for a sunscreen and lots of things to remember. Which chemicals are bad? What offers the most protection? What SPF should I buy? EWG makes it easy with these quick tips.
- No Spray Sunscreens
- No Super-High SPFs
- No Oxybenzone and Other Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals
- No Retinyl Palmitate
- No Combined Sunscreen/Bug Repellents
- No sunscreen towelettes or powders
- No Tanning Oils
We agree with EWG that there are many out there that are unnecessary, and we have narrowed down the choices to two that we make available in our office. Revolution Health Medical Center has chosen to carry Raw Elements Sunscreen SPF30 – ranked as BEST by the guide – as well as Devita Solar Body Moisturizer SPF30. Do not forget to pick up yours when you are in for your next appointment.