Natural Heartburn Relief
Natural Alternatives to Nexium, Prilosec and Prevacid
By Dr. Julie Gorman, NMD
We often ignore the signals our bodies give us about a problem. Heartburn is an excellent example.
Most people regard heartburn or acid reflux as a nuisance or an “antacid deficiency” and go to their doctors for stomach acid suppressing medications. The problem is that while these medications may provide temporary relief, they do NOT cure the problem. In fact, they actually worsen it.
When stomach acid production is blocked or neutralized with medications, it decreases our ability to digest food, impairs absorption of nutrients such as Calcium and Vitamin B12, and lessens immune defenses making you more susceptible to pneumonia and other illnesses.
In addition to the long term health consequences, the body reacts to these medications by telling the stomach to make more acid. As more acid is produced, more heartburn follows, and a vicious cycle known as “acid rebound” begins.
Twenty-five million people suffer unnecessarily with daily heartburn. Whether your heartburn is brought on by poor eating habits, food allergies, infection or as a side-effect of medications; simple dietary and lifestyle changes along with natural supplements can provide healing and lasting relief:
- Diet – avoid trigger foods such as: coffee, alcohol, sodas, tomatoes, onions, citrus, chocolate, peppermint, spicy and fried foods.
- Change Eating Habits – eat slowly and chew well. Avoid eating big meals and eat dinner at least 3 hours prior to bedtime.
- Lifestyle Changes – stop smoking and lose weight if needed.
- Digestive Enzymes – take a complete enzyme formula with meals to help digest fats, proteins and carbohydrates. (available in our office.)
- DGL Licorice – 1-2 tablets chewed & swallowed protects the stomach lining and is also an excellent solution for patients that must take aspirin, NSAIDS, corticosteroids or osteoporosis medications. (available in-office or through the Amazon link below).
- Aloe Vera Juice – 2 tablespoons in a glass of water will help soothe the stomach. (Amazon link below).
- Acupuncture – regular treatments can help relieve symptoms of “Stomach Fire” and promote balance in the body.
Frequent heartburn should be evaluated by a doctor to rule out other more serious health conditions. Schedule an appointment with one of our doctors for an evaluation and individualized digestive health program
The information provided on this site is not intended to be a substitute for individual medical advice in diagnosing or treating a health problem.
Please schedule a private consult about your health concerns.
Dr. Julie Gorman is the founder and chief executive officer of Revolution Health Medical Center. Since starting the medical practice in 2001 she has been honored as a Phoenix Magazine Top Doctor (2013 & 2015) and been nationally recognized as a fellow of the American Board of Oriental and Reproductive Medicine for her training and skill in holistic infertility care. Dr. Gorman is a naturopathic medical doctor who provides comprehensive care for a variety of pain disorders including: back pain, carpal tunnel and fibromyalgia. She specializes in fertility issues, and is currently taking new patients.