Detox Friendly Vegetarian Chili–
From Revolution Health Medical Center–
Ah, vegetarian chili. Perfect for that cold January night when you are trying to keep your new year’s resolutions, but craving something warm and hearty.
Try this tasty, easy to make recipe!
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 whole carrots, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sweet red bell pepper, chopped
- 1-2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, fresh or canned, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 Tsp. chipotle powder
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 cup (or 1 can, drained and rinsed) cooked kidney beans
- 1 cup (or 1 can, drained and rinsed) cooked pinto beans
- 1 cup (or 1 can, drained and rinsed) cooked garbanzo beans
- 3 14-oz cans tomatoes, diced (no salt added) (reserve juice)
- 1/2 freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro or parsley, finely chopped
- 1 pinch, Sea salt (or to taste)
1.In a large soup kettle, heat oil over low heat; add onion, carrot, zucchini, garlic, and peppers.
2.Cover and cook until vegetables are very soft, about 10 minutes. Remove lid, add chili powder, pepper and cumin and cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans, tomatoes, and their juice.
3.Simmer 20-30 minutes. Taste your chili to see if you need to add sea salt before serving. To serve, top bowls of chili with cilantro/parsley. Be creative, you can add any of your favorite vegetables to this chili to make it your own.
Per serving: Calories: 170 Protein: 10g Total fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 31g Fiber: 16g
FLT Servings: Legume: 1 Category 1 vegetables: 2 Category 2 vegetables: 1/4
Recipe created by Dr. Kirsten Singler.
Dr. Singler is a nutrition and wellness coach at Revolution Health Medical Center. She began her career in nutritional counseling in 2009 as a graduate of the Southwest Institute of Healing Arts. She is a 2015 graduate of Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine.
Dr. Singler is currently accepting new medical nutrition patients. 602.265.1774 and is involved with teaching several of our upcoming classes.